Skin care: At-home spa
Who said taking time out is limited to birthdays, holidays and special occasions? Discover our home spa and skin care guide for enjoying some TLC all year round.
Lately, with the hustle and bustle of life, running Malée in two continents and spending any time left with friends and family, taking time out for a little indulgent pampering has been high on the weekly to-do list. I made a new commitment: to give myself some me-time, once a week, to get mind, body and soul connected and just relax!
A little time to read the latest beauty magazines issues, or a few chapters of the current book gathering dust on my bedside table.
I have now personally rebranded bath time as the new ‘Me’ time. Phone on divert, door shut and a chance to turn the bathroom into a zen palace.
In my current ‘Me’ time kit:
- I use candles to transform the bathroom from drab to fab; the flickering light of Scented Candles and the scent throw off works like a charm. Cathedral effect is my style.
- I have lost a phone to the bathtub in the past. Lesson learnt! I pick my playlist, plug in my Bluetooth headphones and place my phone on the opposite side of the room. Hands-free, I can focus on relaxation and no chance of the phone somehow ending up in my hands and in the tub.
- I brush my hair up and pull it into a ponytail.
- Now the fun begins! Standing over the tub, I scoop out and gently scrub away in circular motions, usually dancing away. Once I am done, I rinse the tub out of the stray granules and run my bath.
5/6. While the bath is running I grab a book or magazine, whichever tickles my fancy. This time it was ELLE UK’s issue featuring Kristen Stewart. Air guitar, shuffle while I wait and a few loud ad-libs because I think I sound like Whitney’s twin in the bathroom with headphones on… and my bath is ready.
- My playlist has slowed right down, eye mask on, I slip into the bathtub and embrace the aromatherapy candle experience.
- Fast forward 20-30 mins I am now well into the prune-fingered phase and I am beyond relaxed. Tight muscles eased away and a rinse and towel dry out of the bath. I like to follow up with moisturiser. Bathrobe on and slippers and head straight to the kitchen as all that hard work deserves a snack and beverage. Some more of my magazine, I nod off and I wake up the next morning feeling like I had just been on holiday.
Give it a go this week or weekend and share a pic with us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter @maleeonline.