If you have a sincere and enduring love for beautiful body and home fragrances, you may have found yourself wondering ‘are fragrance oils natural’? After all, there are so many lovely products out there that contain these oils. So it makes sense to wonder what the origins are of the intoxicating scents that make their way into your life via candles, room mists, perfumes and diffusers.
The fragrance oil market is booming around the globe as the demand increases for products with interesting fragrance profiles. And this includes the UK. Here is what you need to know about this popular beauty product and homeware ingredient:
There are two kinds of fragrance oils
The difference between fragrance oils and essential oils (e.g. lemon, orange, bergamot, lavender) lies in the fact that it is not taken directly from nature. Instead, it is created in a lab according to very specific compositions. These are based on a variety of natural elements (e.g. resins and extracts), as well as chemical aroma elements that add a little something extra. As such, there is more room for experimentation.
There are two different kinds of fragrance oils, namely:
- Synthetic oils that are created in a lab and composed from chemicals. It can also be a combination of chemicals and naturally occurring ingredients.
- Natural oils that are composed from raw products that are taken from nature. They are then combined to arrive at a more complex scent.
Fragrance oils are safe to use
Essential oils are seen as a more healthy option because it’s derived directly from nature. But even with these oils you have to take certain precautions. For instance, most essential oils have to be diluted in a carrier oil before applying it to the skin. In addition it can only ever be ingested in very small amounts because it can be toxic in larger quantities.
Fragrance oils should be use with similar precautions. It is best to use phthalate-free oils. As phthalates can have a negative impact on the liver, kidneys, lungs and reproductive system in large quantities. Even though the amounts of this kind of oil that goes into the average room mist or scented candle is hardly enough to cause any damage. It’s always best to play it safe.
What is better – fragrance oils or essential oils?
It all depends on the intended purpose of the oils. If you want to enjoy the health and emotional benefits that plant-derived components can impart, it’s best to stick with the essential oil spectrum. However, if you want an oil with a long-lasting smell and a more complex olfactory nuance. Synthetic or natural fragrance oils are a good option.
DID YOU KNOW? Premium grade fragrance oil is tested and has to meet all the qualifications of IFRA’s standards to be eligible for use in cosmetics, body care products as well as direct tropical application.
Are fragrance oils natural? No, they are not. Fragrance oils are manufactured according to the specifications of each manufacturer to create beautiful olfactory products that enhance our living spaces. If you want something more natural, opt for body and home fragrances based on essential oils.
Shop This Post
- Limited Edition Polyanthes Soybean Candle€87.00 Get 20% off your next order with newcomer20 coupon
- Limited Edition Peppersage Soybean Candle€87.00 Get 20% off your next order with newcomer20 coupon
- Limited Edition Verdure Soybean Candle€87.00 Get 20% off your next order with newcomer20 coupon
- Room Mist€54.00 Get 20% off your next order with newcomer20 coupon
- Verdure Eau De Parfum€45.00 Get 20% off your next order with newcomer20 coupon